July 15, 2015 Check-In
Staffing Update
Sara Stride - Counselor: The applicant has decided that this position is not right for her at this time. Tawnia and I will resume the search.
I am currently interviewing for the open paraeducator spot left open by Jennifer Banks in the Primary EBD classroom and for a new .2 Library/Technology teacher.
July 1, 2015 Check-In
The day after school let out, all principals were informed that there are Title I funds available to pay staff for attendance at a before school retreat. As a result, I have modified the retreat time to be a whole day rather than a half day. The retreat is now scheduled for
North Star Staff Retreat
Thursday, September 3, 8:30 - 3:00
Lunch will be provided as originally planned.
During this time together we will spend time reviewing and revising our school's vision and mission. Between September of last year and September of this coming school year there have been 21 staff changes. And so, it is appropriate for us to take some time to become better acquainted with our purpose and path for meeting the needs of our students. 7/1
Welcome new staff members to the NS community
Anna Stokke - 2nd Grade
Judy Didier - 5th Grade
Sara Stride - Counselor - Updated: This candidate has reconsidered her acceptance of the counselor position. We will continue to look for a replacement for Allison. 7/8
Building Access
The building will be closed on July 3 and July 6.
Please be mindful of floors being waxed. If you see signs, avoid walking on the floors until Jack gives the OK.
I will be in the office tomorrow and Tuesday - Friday next week. 7/1
Team Info
I have the following teams configured. Let me know immediately if this is not accurate to your knowledge. Note: There were open slots for Site Council based on 3 year terms ending. Using information from your feedback on the Staff Assignment Survey I sent out in the spring, I added a few names. Open slots still need members. Please let me know if you are interested. 7/1
Leadership Team
K - Katie Spencer
1 - Taran Johnson
2 - Amanda Drorbaugh
3 - Kathy Horton-Schmidt
4 - Jana Bosworth
5 - Bryan Hamblin
LAP - Jessica Whitehead/Gina Eichost
Site Council
Primary #1 - Laura Attaway
Primary #2 -
Intermediate #1 - Trish Jump
Intermediate #2 - Susan Homestead
Specialist - Jill Nintze
Classified #1 - Janice Pawul
Classified #2 -
Parent - Rebecca Gwinnup
Parent - Sarabeth Butts
Community -
Admin - Stephen Rushing/Tawnia Vanderwood
SBA Results
Below you will find links to graphs showing NS student performance compared to Bethel School District performance and select schools. I chose to do the comparison with six other schools. I selected those schools based on two different types of criteria.
1. Schools with a similar size and demographics. Schools with the same size as North Star were Elk Plain, Naches Trail and Pioneer Valley. In addition, they shared similar percentages in minorities, socio-economic status and both respectively.
2. Schools that are not similar in size or have significantly different demographics but are known to get consistently good results. These schools are Nelson, Evergreen and Graham. Nelson is larger but has a similar ethnicity percentage. Evergreen is a similar size but is much more disadvantaged in regards to socio-economic and minority populations. Lastly, Graham is a larger school that is more advantaged in
regards to socio-economic and minority populations. 7/1
3rd Grade ELA 14-15
3rd Grade Math 14-15
4th Grade ELA 14-15
4th Grade Math 14-15
5th Grade ELA 14-15 (This 5th Grade ELA link works now. Thanks for letting me know.)
5th Grade Math 14-15